Sunday, November 24, 2013

SU! CHRISTMAS COUNTDOWN CALENDAR

I found this over at the SU! BLOG. It's a really cool project.  Check it out.  It's very easy to make.

Christmas Kindness Advent Calendar

With December right around the corner and the flurry of activity that is sure to come with it, I really wanted to have an advent calendar this year that would help us as a family to slow down just a little and focus on each other as well as giving back to others. I'm all for a little treat inside each day's gift bag, but also really wanted to include an act of kindness or love that we could do as a family in our household or in our community each day.  The Mini Muslin Bags were an easy go-to accessory to pull off this Christmas Kindness Advent Calendar. 



To help with the anticipation as we count down each day of December, each bag will hold a handwritten note on either a Pretty Presents Designer Tag or a Season of Style Designer Journaling Tag that will state what act of love or kindness is requested of our family for that day . . . and I'm sure I'll tuck in a little sweet treat as well! (Perhaps those will be paid forward to other family members and friends?!) Now just to decide where to display these two big frames so that we can be ready for the countdown when December comes!





I wanted to keep the bags simple by not stamping on them as I think they will be useful for other things throughout the year . . . as will the frames (old windows that were sitting in the garage screaming to be used for something crafty). So I went for a simple number countdown that I could pin to each Mini Muslin Bag and then remove it from the bags until next Christmas.

I cut the numbers with the Typeset Alphabet Bigz Dies and a mix of Cherry Cobbler and Old Olive Textured Cardstock as well as Early Espresso Core’dinations Cardstock. I layered the numbers on 1-1/2" circles cut out of Season of Style Designer Series Paper using the Circles Collection Framelits and the smallest size Deco Labels Collection Framelit stamped with the matching stamp from the Morning Post Numbers Stamp Set.

The frame was created by knocking the cracked glass out of a couple of old windows; then, after it was cleaned up a bit (I otherwise left it in its original state of charm), we stapled chicken wire to the back of the window.  I covered some cardboard with burlap, then stapled that to cover the rough chicken wire edges (and to make the background of the frame a little more dressed up)! Many projects will adorn the front of these frames as the year goes on!

My kids were sure excited to see the bags all hanging and ready for December! I'm excited to have this fun calendar to use year after year while I use the frame to display pretty projects all year round! What is your tradition for counting down to Christmas?

Alanna Wharf
Artisan Design Team 2013–2014

No comments:

Post a Comment