Sunday, September 22, 2013

MAKE A FOOTBALL FROM A CIRCLE PUNCH AND THE NEW ENVELOPE PUNCH BOARD - FROM THE SU! BLOG

Ok, this is so clever.  You can make a football from the circle punch!  How cool is that?  I loved this post from SU! I had to repost it.

For the Love of the Game . . . or Not!

I consider myself a girly girl. I get giddy over shoes and lip gloss. I love to bake, decorate, craft, and curl my nieces’ hair. I make purchasing decisions based on color, smell, and overall cuteness. I also love football!

As a child, I would cuddle with my dad on the couch on Sundays and doze off while he watched football. Football is as autumnal as sweaters, falling leaves, and pumpkins on the porch. I look forward to it every year.

Today I take my football watching a bit more seriously. There are a couple of games every year that I will not miss. One is the Super Bowl. The other is the BYU vs. Utah rivalry game. Around here, this game is called the “Holy War” and it’s a big deal!

When I was asked to work on this blog post, I immediately looked at my schedule and saw that I got to blog about football the day before BYU takes on Utah. Such incredible timing!



To cheer on my team tomorrow, I created a banner. The Gumball Green pieces mimic the look of the field. I used the Perfect Pennants Bigz L Die and the Typeset Alphabet Bigz Dies. I added a few layers of Midnight Muse Designer Series Paper to represent the school colors. Paper footballs and white tissue tassels create the perfect finishing touches.



To make a football, I first punched a circle from Early Espresso Cardstock using the 2-1/2" Circle Punch. Next, I reinserted the circle back into the punch and punched it a second time. (If you turn it over before you punch, you can reinsert it partially to create a pretty good football shape.)



Using a White Stampin’ Chalk Marker, I added the white markings to my footballs. Then I stitched them all together on the sewing machine to create a garland.



To stay hydrated during the game, I’ve added some school spirit to these water bottles. I simply wrapped them in Designer Series Paper and added a “Y” in the school colors.



And no game would be complete without something to snack on! Using the 4" x 6" Cellophane Bags, I bagged a variety of treats and closed the bags using Gumball Green and Midnight Muse 3/8" Stitched Satin Ribbon.
Go, Mighty Cougars!
Jen C.
Concept Artist and Avid Football Fan

***On the other hand***

I consider myself something of a football widow. I know many of you out there know just what I mean. Football season starts, and our hubbies set up camp in front of the TV. Honestly, I don’t mind. He’s doing what he wants, and that frees up time for me to do more of what I want. What do I want to do? Really? You have to ask? I want to CRAFT! The average football game is 2–3 hours long. With the premium sports channels, watching all of the games together can take an entire afternoon. That gives me lots of time to work on my projects!

The new Envelope Punch Board is one of my favorite new tools. If I don’t have my Undefined Stamp Carving Kit carving tools in my hand, it’s because I’m punching out the cutest envelopes on the planet. Check out the advent calendar I made using the Season of Style Designer Series Paper! As I said, the cutest envelopes on the planet!





The Envelope Punch Board was so easy to use as I sat on the couch next to my football fanatic and made all of my envelopes. I went with the 3" x 4" envelope size because it requires a 6" x 6" piece of paper—which is an awfully convenient size when working with 12" x 12" Designer Series Paper! I also used two sheets of 12" x 12" Crumb Cake Cardstock to break up the pattern and get a little stamping onto the banner.

I want this advent calendar to be reusable, so I used some scraps of Cherry Cobbler and Old Olive Cardstock to punch out 1/2" circles (with the 1/2" Circle Punch)  to make my closures.



I used a pencil to mark where the closures should be adhered, then pierced holes for the Silver 1/8" Mini Brads using my Paper-Piercing Tool. I used a small amount of Multipurpose Glue to glue the envelope together, then wrapped 6" of Cherry Cobbler Baker’s Twine between the circle closures to close it.



The steps up to this point took me about an hour and a half. I didn’t really want to spend the rest of the afternoon stamping the numbers for my advent calendar, so I used MDS to create the little numbered flags. (I’ve included the flags PDF here.)

After printing my flags, I joined my hubby back on the couch and went to town cutting out the flags and curling them a bit with my Bone Folder before attaching them to the envelopes with more Multipurpose Adhesive.



The final step was stringing all of the envelopes together with more Cherry Cobbler Baker’s Twine to make two banners. I chose to string them into two separate banners so they didn’t take up an entire wall!

I’m a fan of advent calendars that come with sweet treats inside. These envelopes don’t allow for much to be stuffed inside, so I’m going to think of fun activities that we can do together all month long and put a notecard inside each envelope.

What fun activities do you do when your significant other is watching football?

Melody H.
Concept Artist

No comments:

Post a Comment