Saturday, August 24, 2013

SU! SIMPLY SKETCHED

I'm happy to share with you another card I made for the SU! CONVENTION 25 years.  This card uses the SU! HOSTESS Stamp Set - SIMPLY SKETCHED.  I stamped the floral image and the sentiment with black staz on onto watercolor paper then watercolored the flower with SU! NEW IN COLOR CRISP CANTALOUPE.
After watercoloring, I added crystal effects and some dazzling diamonds.  The watercolor paper and the basic black cardstock were distressed with the NEW SU! DISTRESSING TOOL.  NEW stitched wild wasabi ribbon was added next and I MADE THE BUTTON with the NEW PAPER CLAY from SU! that I've demonstrated previously.  The button dried in no time and I colored it with wild wasabi ink and then sealed it with crystal effects also giving a nice glossy look.  I then mounted a SU! DOILY behind and placed these on lattice embossed CRISP CANTALOUPE card stock mounted to wild wasabi.

Simply Sketched #129672
Regular Price: $11.11
Preferred Price: $10.00 if selected as a hostess set on a workshop order at www.scrappinriri.stampinup.net

This beautiful set contains three sketches and three sentiments perfect for a lovely sympathy card, birthday card, or thank you card. The imagery is ideal for water coloring. Clear-mount. Also available in Spanish, French, and German and is also available in wood mount. Use the hostess dollars you earn at your workshop on this specially-priced, hostess-exclusive set!

Set quantity: 6
Also...I wanted to add this entry from Jennifer Timko an Artisan Design Winner featured on the SU! BLOG since it goes along with the stamp set I chose to highlight today.
A Simply Sketched Thank You
There is nothing like a summer at home with my children to help reinforce my appreciation for teachers! Don’t get me wrong . . . I LOVE having my two boys with me, but wow, are they active. I know that their teachers work hard keeping their minds engaged and excited about learning.
While working on a summer book report, my oldest stopped one day and said, “You know, Mom, this isn’t so bad. Mrs. H. taught us how to get through these easy-peasy!” Oh how I love that woman!! 
So of course I want to help these teachers start the year off right by thanking them for all they do (and have already done before the school year officially starts). What better way than with a first day of school treat bag? 

The minute I saw the Mini Muslin Bags in the holiday catalog, I jumped for joy. I can see so many ways to use them! I wanted to add a touch of elegance to them so I decided to watercolor on them. (Yes, you CAN watercolor on them! And it is easy to do, too.)

The Simply Sketched Hostess Stamp Set has just the pretty look I was going for so I stamped the flower and sentiment on the bag using Jet Black StazOn Ink. It looked great just like that, but I kept going and added some color. Using a Blender Pen, I picked up some ink from a Calypso Coral Classic Stampin’ Pad and started applying it to the flowers. (Use a light hand to start and then add color as you go.) To add some extra highlights, I took my Calypso Coral Stampin’ Write Marker (available individually until Oct. 31) and lightly colored directly on the bag. I used the Blender Pen to smooth it out a bit . . . just as I do on paper! Then, I used a Pear Pizzazz Stampin’ Write Marker to color the stems and the Blender Pen and a little Pool Party ink to create shadows around the flower. Done!!

And the card? I colored it exactly the same way as the bag on Naturals Ivory Cardstock, then added a Basic Gray Cardstock frame to make it pop.  I thought that the Naturals 7/16" Trim would be a perfect finish along with a Smoky Slate button from the Neutrals Designer Button . . . plus some Linen Thread.
I hope the teachers enjoy these—and I look forward to making more variations with these fun bags! What was that my son said? Oh, yes: “Easy peasy!”
Jennifer Timko 2013 Artisan Design Team

Also, I want to let you know that I received some great swaps in return for my card at the beginning of this post, so next week I hope to be sharing those. Return here for more great ideas each day!

No comments:

Post a Comment