Tuesday, January 31, 2017

HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR SU! STYLE

It's Chinese New Year and the Year of the Rooster.

Here's what's cookin' over at the SU! Blog:

Chinese New Year

I love celebrations! Birthdays, anniversaries, Christmas, and New Year’s are all fabulous celebrations that I treasure. And although Chinese New Year isn’t a holiday my family traditionally celebrates, I had a fabulous time putting together some fun and creative ideas to help you decorate and celebrate. This year the Chinese New Year celebration begins on January 27 (Chinese New Year’s Eve) and ends on February 2, so you still have time to whip up some festive décor and gifts for your friends and family.
1
One Chinese New Year’s tradition is to gather for a family reunion dinner. I absolutely love this idea and I think that a celebration that brings family together is just perfection. I’ve created these beautiful paper lanterns to use as a centerpiece at this dinner celebration.
2
For the lanterns I’ve used five of the long and thick pieces punched in Real Red Cardstock (item 102482) from the Bow Builder Punch (item 137414). I then added lots of gold touches, including the largest image from the Moroccan Nights Stamp Set (item 141715) embossed with Gold Stampin’ Emboss Powder (item 109129) and embellished with Gold Foil Sheets (item 132622) and Gold Sequin Trim (item 132983). The tassels from the Cupcakes & Carousels Embellishment Kit (item 142767) are the perfect finishing touch.
Another Chinese New Year tradition is to gift red packets containing money. The significance of these red packets is to wish others a safe and peaceful coming year.
3
I’ve created my red packet with the Gift Card Envelope & Trims Thinlits (item 135854) and Real Red Cardstock (item 102482). Before I assembled the packet, I embossed it with a stamp from the Celebrate Today Stamp Set (item 137138) and Gold Stampin’ Emboss Powder (item 109129). Don’t you think it looks like a string of fireworks?! I then used the Moroccan Nights Stamp Set (item 141715) and Any Occasion Stamp Set* (item 143348) to create a focal point for the belly band, which is constructed of Gold Foil Sheets (item 132622) and the gold ribbon from the 3/8" Metallic Ribbon Combo Pack* (item 143601). I think anyone would be thrilled to receive one of these stunning red money packets.
Last but not least, I created an adorable little takeout box using the Cutie Pie Thinlits Dies (item 138273). I simply adjusted the box to make it look more like a takeout container than a piece of pie.
4
Keeping with my theme of gold and red, I added some gold embossing to the takeout container using the Delicate Details Stamp Set* (item 143314). Each year in the twelve-year Chinese zodiac cycle is represented by an animal and element. This year marks the year of the fire (or red) rooster. The Hey, Chick Stamp Set* (item 143328)—free with purchase during Sale-A-Bration—was perfect for adding in the iconic rooster image.
I hope you’ve enjoyed my project today—and a little lesson on Chinese New Year (if you weren’t familiar with it already). I apologize if I’ve made any errors in my research about this celebration and welcome you to leave a comment to fill me in on the facts and how you celebrate!
Allison Okamitsu
2017 Artisan Design Team
*Free with purchase during Sale-A-Bration

No comments:

Post a Comment