Friday, December 10, 2010

MY CARD FOR THE HOLIDAY CARD EXCHANGE

We had the most wonderful time at our Holiday Dinner.  It was one of the best we have ever enjoyed! As per tradition, we exchanged Holiday cards that we made.  This is the card that I made.  I actually CASED this card from a variety of holiday door cards that have been circulating the web.  My main inspiration came from a card I saw by Lee Ann Greff who also CASED the card, so I'm not sure where the original idea came from. In any case, I wanted to make the card my own so I embossed the woodgrain stamp with iridescent ice embossing power.  I needed to emboss this image twice so that I could dimensionalize the door.  Anyone that came through my house while I was making these cards saw all the glitter flying around.  It was lots f fun and labor intensive. 
I saw this idea for the wreath somewhere on the web.  I first punched a circle and then a scallop circle around that to make the wreath base.  Next I punched out the leaves from the SU! punch bird on a vine.  I glued each individual branch to the wreath base.  Once they were all adhered, I glittered the wreath with some fine green glitter.  More glitter flew through my house and it certainly felt like Christmas.
This is the inside of my card. I like using a punch to add a sentiment and then sign the card.  It is nice to bring attention to one point in the card like is shown here.  In all, I made 10 of these cards for the ladies at dinner.  I had one for myself that I will probably send home to my parents who love home made cards. After all the embossing, this card is officially retired.  However, there are some nice variations that can be done  on this card.  The woodgrain doesn't need to be embossed. You could also leave the panels plain as Lee Ann did in her card.  The door can be any color and can even match the door of your home.